I love this recipe because it can be changed to suit whatever vegetables you prefer.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 4 C mixed vegetables (we used sliced Swiss chard, cut-up asparagus, and diced zucchini)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 C fresh basil leaves (optional)
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 C freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- Put 1 tablespoon of the oil in 12″ nonstick skillet over medium heat. when hot, add onion and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. add vegetables and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt. raise heat to medium-high and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 10 minutes. adjust heat as necessary so vegetables brown a little without scorching.
- Turn heat to low when vegetables are nearly done and add basil, if using. cook, stirring occasionally, until pan is almost dry, up to 5 minutes longer for wetter ingredients such as mushrooms.
- Beat eggs and cheese (if using) in bowl while vegetables cook. season with remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt and freshly ground black pepper. add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to pan. Pour in eggs, using a spoon if necessary to distribute them evenly. cook, undisturbed, until eggs are barely set, about 10 minutes. run under the broiler for a minute or two to brown very slightly.
- Cut into wedges and serve hot, warm, or at room temperature.